A few weeks ago I was in the midst of digging up the monkey grass border on the west garden, and wrote about being stymied by rotting timber that had to be replaced. We dug it all up because of the crab grass intertwined in the roots and taking over my garden in the heat of summer. I handled each one of those root bundles, separating them and pulling out the pernicious crab grass roots. Having finally finished with that project, with some help from everyone else in the family, it wasn’t really done. Of course not.
There’s a path of rocks in the middle of the garden, which water from the rain gutter drains through. If I left it with grass roots running through it then all my work weeding the monkey grass would be a waste of time. Continue reading
Monkey grass soaking in tubs to soften the roots.
On Sunday morning I was enthusiastic about getting closer to finishing with digging up and replanting the de-weeded monkey grass border along the west garden. I sent my oldest son out ahead of me to do the digging up part. Unfortunately what he uncovered brought my project to a halt.
The landscaping timber was mostly rotten, with crabgrass roots running all through it. When I pulled on some roots the timber just fell apart. The timing is bad because banging rebar through fresh timber and into the ground is Mr. Mims’ department, and he’s still busy painting our fresh deck. He inspected my work, went somewhere to get the timber, dumped it in front of the site and then informed me that it’s low on his list right now. I can’t say I blame him. Continue reading
In the midst of an early spring here in Greenville, I have taken on a large weeding task that I hope will cut down on the summer weeding chores. I’ve spent several hours, spaced out over a few days, and I’ve reached about the halfway point.